Getting a new computer should be a fun experience, but making sure all of your data gets moved from your old computer to the new one can be a stressful experience. The directions and videos below are designed to help make this easier with the use of Google Drive.
Step 1 - Determine How You are Currently Using Google Drive
Step 2 - Get your files into your Google Drive
- Watch the video for Google Drive Cloud users
- Watch the video for Google Drive app or Backup and Sync app users
Step 3 - Export your Bookmarks/Favorites from your Web Browser
- Safari Users
- Open Safari
- Click on File > Export Bookmarks (be sure to save the exported file to your Google Drive so you can retrieve it later)
- Firefox Users
- Open FireFox
- Click Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks
- Make sure that All Bookmarks its selected in the left window-pane
- Click the icon with arrows pointing up and down and choose Export Bookmarks to HTML (be sure to save the exported file to your Google Drive so you can retrieve it later)
- Chrome Users
- Open Chrome
- Click on Bookmarks > Bookmark Manager
- In the top blue bar click on the icon with 3 vertical dots in the top-right side of the screen
- Choose Export Bookmarks (be sure to save the exported file to your Google Drive so you can retrieve it later)
I have my New Computer...Now What?
Step 1 - Install Google File Stream
Step 2 - Sign into your browser to sync your Bookmarks
Step 3 - Use the Self Service app to Install any software you need.
Note: Your laptop should already have Microsoft Office, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, and Garage Band installed